6.02.2010

Jiu-Jitsu Instructor: Illustrative Portrait

I shot with Patrick for my illustrative portrait assignment I had in my Consumer Photography class. The category of illustrative portrait gave me freedom to apply my editorial style to a portrait that would be flattering for Patrick. Patrick teaches Jiu-Jitsu at Prime Time Sports in Boca Raton, FL. He is really laid back but you can tell the guy can kick some ass. My biggest challenge with this shoot was how to light the background. The padded wall had texture, but was also highly reflective. For some I used an SB 800 to spotlight on the background, some have two lights crossed on the background for a more even look, and for the more dramatic shots I went with no direct light on the background.

One of the things you have to keep in mind about shooting for consumers is the fact that for the most part, the end result of your images will be a 5x7 or 8x10 print. For class, we are turning in an 8x10 matted print. Here's my choice.


Some more posed portraits


Although Jiu-Jitsu is based on grappling, Patrick was able to bring a sword that he had won in a contest.


The composition and pose for this image was what motivated me to do this shoot. 


Patrick asked me to shoot him in a more tradition Jiu-Jitsu pose. 



No comments: